TO ALL OUR FRIENDS, COLLEAGUES, STUDENTS AND THE WELL WISHERS’
A warm welcome to the faculty of engineering Somali International University (S.I.U) web page.
Thank you for the interest and time you have spared to visit us.
The faculty of engineering houses two departments namely;
- The department of civil engineering.
- The department of computer science.
SIU faculty Computer Science program provides a fundamental understanding of the theoretical principles of modern hardware and software technology. Students study beyond the core areas of systems, theory, programming and hardware to applied areas of study such as robotics, graphics and multimedia, database systems and artificial intelligence. Students will develop analytic thinking and creative problem-solving skills important for a challenging and fulfilling career.
To provide our students with the expertise to become leaders and innovators in information technology and to produce graduates that will be successful professionals, be committed to lifelong learning, and make positive contributions to our society
Produce graduates with the strong academic and technical backgrounds needed to achieve distinction in the discipline.
Objectives of Faculty of Engineering
- To provide student-centered programs which ensure that graduates acquire technical expertise, business practices, industrial management, teaming, communication and leadership skills, lifelong learning, social awareness and ethical responsibility
2 . To engage in applied research
3. To develop partnerships with multiple stakeholders as a means of providing solutions to industrial problems and/or effecting enhancements in pedagogy.
Goals, Critical Success Factors, and Objectives
Goal : Academic and Research Excellence.
- Keep undergraduate and graduate programs current with developing technologies.
- Seek innovative methods to provide graduate programs on campus students
- Recruit, hire, develop, and retain faculty with excellent teaching and research capabilities.
Goal 2: Access and Diversity. Maintain faculty and student diversity and increase student retention.
- Have faculty composition reflect student diversity.
- Improve methods for recruiting students.
Track retention rates for students and identify factors involved in student losses.
Critical Success Factors for Goal 2
- Increase enrolled undergraduate students to at least 150.
- Increase enrolled graduate students.
- Develop and distribute effective recruiting materials for undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Contact key sources of students at least once a year.
- Increase the “student friendly” attitude of department personnel
Goal 3: Partnerships. Build lasting partnerships to support department efforts in teaching, research, and service.
- Develop long-term relationships with industry to advance academic program development, research opportunities, and employment opportunities of our graduates.
- Provide institutional sources of students current information degree programs and career opportunities existing for industrial engineering graduates.
- Develop relationships with government labs and agencies.
Critical Success Factors for Goal 3
- Identify key suppliers of undergraduate and graduate students.
Develop new degree program and career descriptive materials every two years.
Goal 4: Resources and Infrastructure. Maintain quality personnel, facilities, and approaches to delivery of services.
- Attract and retain faculty and staff.
- Maintain up-to-date computing facilities for faculty and staff.
- Maintain laboratories with current technology equipment.
.Critical Success Factors for Goal 4
- Maintain attractive physical environment for faculty, staff, and students.
- Replace computing facilities every four years.
Goal 5: Development and Marketing. Enhance non-state funding for operations.
- Increase the visibility of the faculty.
- Advertise the programs offered by the faculty
- Increase the number of programs offered by the faculty
Critical Success Factors for Goal 5
- Place radio and news paper adverts
- Improve the face of the faculty.
- Increase learning equipment
Goal 6: Engagement. Build solid connections with the community and region for mutual benefit.
- Become recognized for service to community organizations.
- Obtain media coverage of department activities in community affairs.
Critical Success Factors for Goal 6
- Serve industrial and other organizations through student design projects.
- Develop and provide informative presentations for school classes and groups.
- Increase faculty participation in community service organizations to one organization/FTE/year
Goal 7:. Enhance the image of the Faculty
- Foster a sense of pride coming from being a Somali International University faculty of Engineering graduate
- Exhibit professionalism.
- Instill professionalism in students.
Critical Success Factors for Goal 7
- Update department web-page monthly.
- Develop activities that facilitate faculty and staff professional appearance.
- Develop curriculum elements that increase students’ awareness ethics and benefits of engineering professionalism.