Dean’s welcome message
Dear students, friends, colleagues and well wishers,
Welcome to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the Somali International University. Though new, the faculty is fast gaining reputation for quality teaching and research in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Our ambition is to become one of the leading Liberal Arts and Social Science Faculties that offers relevant and practical courses whose impact is significantly felt in the restructuring and rebuilding of our country Somalia that is recovering from the devastating effects of war and in solving global challenges affecting the world.
Although students come to the University with different ambitions and expectations, our fundamental objective is to help you think more clearly, rigorously and expansively than you ever have before. Whatever particular discipline or program of study you eventually pursue, we want you to leave us with the intellectual skills to not only succeed in life, but gain meaning and value from it as well.
Our diversity of programs at undergraduate and graduate levels enable us offer our students a genuine and liberal arts education with a firm foundation which differentiates us from other institutions in the region.
In FASS, you will find a team of dedicated staff who aspire to excellence in everything they do. In the classroom, you will be challenged to think, read and write critically and innovatively.
Our research enables us make fundamental contributions to the pursuit of new knowledge as well as address many challenges the world faces.
Also at our Faculty is the English Language and Communication Skills Center popularly known for providing English Language Lessons for the non speakers of this international language.
We aim at greater community engagement and finding ways to communicate the value of humanities and social sciences to the wider public.
We invite potential students to visit us any time at our website and also our offices at the main campus .We look forward to welcoming you to SIU!
Roselyne Ajiko Kahyana
Faculty Vision,Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
To become a renowned faculty that provides transformational education through a diversity of relevant, practical courses and research whose result is rebuilding of the nation , continent and the world sustainably.
Provision of a liberal arts education that prepares students to become effective leaders by using a student centred and learning centred model of instruction that encourages the creative use and understanding of new technologies, supports collaboration, promotes quality, recognizes excellence and ensures the thoughtful stewardship of resources.
Our purpose is to provide innovative under graduate degrees and graduate programs appropriate to the growing scope of challenges, complexity and diversity of technologies of the 21st century
Ethics, equity and diversity
Service to the community
Addressing national and global needs
OUR GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
1. To uphold academic excellence and the inherent value of teaching and research in the arts and social sciences;
2. To provide opportunities for our students to develop the attributes and capacities required for leadership, national transformation and global citizenship
3. To bring the methodologies and insights of our disciplines to bear on many of the fundamental questions facing humanity today through basic research and engaged public comment and debate.
4. To effectively represent the Faculty and the University, nationally and internationally, by conducting significant research and organizing academic, social and cultural events
5. To develop local and global partnerships, especially in the African region, that enable us to deliver distinctive programs, further our commitment to fostering research excellence, deepen our engagement with alumni and friends, and enhance our reputation globally.
6. To plan, develop and seek support for major new infrastructure (both buildings and technology) that manifests and enables our commitment to innovative teaching, world-leading research and community engagement.
The Faculty is committed to carrying out high quality research that address Human and Global Conditions: A wide range of research and scholarship in the Faculty focuses on the enduring issues of sustainability, climate change, health, and security as applied to people and other life, socio cultural systems, and natural environments. Through our research, we aim to discover new knowledge and ways of understanding human experience and culture
Through our teaching we aim to foster critical and creative thinking and intellectual breadth
With the help of competent and international staff, the teaching we offer also prepares you for life beyond university by enabling you acquire essential skills and knowledge. Our degrees provide the foundations upon which your future career(s) are built. You might go on to enroll in one of our excellent postgraduate programs, or train for a professional degree. Whatever path you take, what people value most is working with someone who has a well-trained mind – someone with intellectual autonomy, but who can also collaborate and communicate effectively.
Our variety of courses at the faculty provide students with excellent education distinguished by active student learning and discovery, intellectual breadth and depth, and the development of enduring skills-that prepare them to be successful and relevant citizens in an increasingly diverse, technological and global society.
The Faculty also prides itself in offering two exciting and new dual under graduate courses that meet the ever changing requirements of employment. The students get to have a wide employment base. These courses include:
Bachelor of Public Administration and International Relations (BPIR)
Bachelor of Public Administration and Leadership
The faculty also proudly announces the commencement of two new and very important courses
Bachelor of Arts in Peace and Security Studies
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Media Studies
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in collaboration with Keyatta Universities is offering new and exciting programs with extensive curriculums that have clear pathways and progression that provide you with depth and breadth we know are highly valued by students in a truly liberal arts education. The new programs include
1. MASTERS OF ARTS PROGRAMME IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND DIPLOMACY
2. MASTER OF ARTS IN PUBLIC POLICY AND ADMINISTRATION
FASS STRATEGIC PLAN TO ACHIEVE OBJECTIVES
- Emphasizing outreach and effective communications about our mission and accomplishments to promote the visibility of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. This will reinforce our centrality to the mission of the University, help to recruit students and faculty, secure additional funding support, and establish the collaborations and partnerships vital to realizing our vision.
- The Faculty must be introspective but also flexible and responsive to novel uses of our resources, and innovative paths of creative activity. The physical, financial, and technical resources of the Faculty, including its administrators, and staff, must be energized toward effective and efficient achievement of its goals.
- In order to achieve our vision, resources must be not only increased but also strategically, effectively, and fairly deployed. Administrators, faculty, and staff must be entrepreneurial to diversify and strengthen revenue streams. Our Faculty and its academic units must augment resources from the University by actively seeking external grant support and by soliciting support via philanthropy.
- The strengths of the diverse disciplines in the faculty can be bolstered substantially by hiring new faculty staff with strong, focused research or artistic programs that are also interdisciplinary and collaborative, by vigorously fostering national and international collaborations, and by pursuing opportunities to promote multidisciplinary education and training.
- Ongoing critical evaluation of curricular goals, teaching arrangements, and instructional methods will be essential for achieving our objectives of education within disciplines.
- We must strategically strengthen graduate programs, especially by promoting inter- and multidisciplinary efforts that serve to train students in ideas at the frontiers of knowledge and creativity. This strengthening must be augmented by funding approaches that allow for more effective recruitment of the best students and provide more competitive stipends.
- Leadership must engage the faculty broadly and extensively in decision-making and strategic planning to improve participation of stakeholders, to develop a sense of shared ownership, to enhance morale, and to improve outcomes if the Faculty is to be successful.
- Initiatives to enhance Faculty productivity, prominence, and success in research, scholarship, and creativity must emerge from collaborative processes between faculty and leadership.
- Offering a plat form for public dialogue which will encourage university lecturers and students debate on issues pertinent to the nation, the continent and the world.
FASS is committed to creating intellectually vibrant members whose input will be relevant to the sustainable growth of the faculty and the university.